What is Relactagel?
Relactagel is a lactic acid gel that is clinically proven to treat and prevent bacterial Vaginosis (BV). Giving relief from abnormal vaginal odour and discharge associated with BV.
- Relactagel provides relief from embarrassing vaginal odour.
- Relieves abnormal discharge.
- Restores the natural pH of the vagina.
- Can be used to prevent BV as well as treating it.
- Hygienic single use applicators are used to apply the gel where it is needed.
- Relactagel is a lactate vaginal gel. Lactate gel therapy restores and maintains the natural pH of your vagina. Relactagel promotes the growth of naturally occurring flora known as lactobacilli.
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is the most common cause of abnormal vaginal discharge in women of childbearing age. It is a bacterial infection that develops where there is less of naturally occurring flora known as lactobacilli, and an overgrowth in other types of bacteria. This changes the pH of the vagina, making it alkaline.
Signs and Symptoms
- Unpleasant odour (often fishy smelling)
- Abnormal discharge (thin and greyish in colour)
- It is important to note that itching and discomfort are NOT associated with BV.
- Use the symptom checker chart here to check if you could have a different infection.
Causes of Bacterial Vaginosis
Vaginal discharge is not uncommon, can vary in consistency and usually have an inoffensive slightly sweet odour which is unique to every woman. There are a number of things that may upset the natural acidity of the vagina; these include:
- Fluctuating hormone levels during your period, pregnancy or menopause.
- Sexual Intercourse (semen is an alkaline)
- Taking antibiotics
- Intrauterine devices such as the coil
- Use of perfumed intimate body products
How does Relactagel work?
Relactagel is lactate vaginal gel. Lactate gels restore and maintain the natural acidity of the vagina, providing an environment favourable to the growth of naturally occurring flora known as lactobacilli. Relactagel also contains glycogen which provides nutrients for lactic acid producing bacteria.
How do I use Relactagel?
Each pack of Relactagel is supplied with 7 single-use pre-filled 5ml applicators.
The recommended Relactagel dosage is as follows:
For treatment: Use 1 single tube daily for 7 days at bedtime.
For prevention: Use 1 single tube daily for 2-3 days at bedtime after menstruation.
Instructions for use:
Break and remove the cap and inset the entire neck of the tube into the vagina. Squeeze out the contents, maintaining constant pressure while withdrawing the tube. Relactagel should be used at bedtime when lying down, to minimise potential leakage. In the event of leakage, a panty liner may be useful. Once opened, use immediately. Do not use any tubes that may have been damaged or are leaking.
Relactagel may cause mild irritation during fungal infections (e.g. thrush) of the vagina or when there are tears in the vaginal tissue.
Relactagel contains glycogen obtained from Oysters. Do not use if allergic to shellfish.